In the Words of Alexander McCall Smith

Have you caught up with events at Scotland Street yet?

Posted in: News

The latest instalment of Alexander McCall Smith’s Scotland St series is out now in paperback and there are startling developments afoot in the lives of Edinburgh’s most eccentric – and loveable – residents!

Click here to find out more (including what young Bertie is up to now), and to read the first chapter for free click here.

And in more exciting Scotland Street news, The Scotsman newspaper has just announced that the series is to be turned into a stage play, to be perfomed at the fringe at this year’s Edinburgh festival. See here for more details.

If you'd like to share or bookmark this article, here are a few shortcuts:

Join or Start the Conversation:

11 comments on this article to-date:

1. Maggie Whalley says:

I would really love to know when the next instalment of the 44 Scotland Street will the released? They are my favorite books and I cant wait!!

2. Brenda Spillane says:

I have just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Scones – another wonderful book about the characters of Scotland Street. These books are such a joy and now I’m off to get The Importance of Being Seven. Poor Bertie, is he ever going to escape therapy !!!!
    Thank you for these books, haven’t forgotten Isobel and when can we have another book about Freddie Delahaye of Corduroy Mansions???
    Huge fan, keep writing please :)

3. Lu Culp says:

Where-o-where can I purchase a Bertie linen towel?

4. admin says:

Hi Lu,

I had no idea this was even possible, but I have found such an item! http://www.contextinteriors.co.....towel.html Though it is a tea towel rather than a linen towel.

5. Lorian Jones says:

What happened to the 44 Scotland Street series that was supposed to start in the Scotsman in January?

6. Anna Green says:

I absolutely adore 44 Scotland Street.
    Poor Bertie, I want to start a “Set Bertie Free” campain (hee hee)I want to shake Irene and tell her to let this wee boy be exactly that. And dont get me started on Stuart, come on man, step up to the gate and get your overbearing wife told. Bertie project…indeed.
    Cant wait for the next one.

7. Deborah says:

I do hope you will continue the 44 Scotland Street series! I have all of the books, loved reading them consecutively, and really miss everyone! So please do publish more about my “friends” at 44 Scotland Street (they felt like friends!) Thank you.

8. John Osborn says:

Please may we learn more of the folk from Scotland Street. I find it hard to be left without knowledge of their progress or otherwise. It cannot be fair that only dogs have gold teeth! I have some unusual cats, one of whom who would love one!

9. Maria Nickerson says:

I just read “Importance of Being Seven” and have started “Bertie plays the Blues”.
    At the end of “Seven” Bertie stays overnight with farmers after the fishing trip. I was expecting outrage from mom Irene, but the event is never mentioned again.
    Also, in “Seven”, Pat and Elspeth get rid of Matthew’s assistant Kirsty. Yet in “Blues”, Matthew meets up with Pat for the first time in years.
    Did I miss a chapter? Or did the storyline get out of order?
    Have all the books! Am a huge fan! Thank you AMS for many hours of happy reading!

10. Alan and Mavis says:

Your fabulous work has even percolated to Australia! Thanks for many happy hours of reading!

11. we are travelling to Edinburgh next year. where in Edinburgh can we purchase the Bertie Tea Towel?

Join or Start the Conversation:

Complete the form to add a comment to this article:

Please Note: All comments will be moderated by a member of Mr McCall Smith's Webteam, which may result in a short delay in your comment appearing on the site.

Mr McCall Smith's Webteam and/or representatives of his publisher, the Little Brown Book Group, also reserve the right to block, remove or delete any comment that, in their opinion:

• Constitutes hate speech against an identifiable group
  • Directly and deliberately insults other posters
  • Is promotional or commercial in nature (these comments will also be reported as spam)
  • Does not make a relevant and / or interesting contribution to the discussion

Alexander on Twitter

Alexander on Twitter
Latest tweets from @mccallsmith:
  • Sorry! Bit of a problem with the feed from Twitter at the moment. Please try again later...
Follow Alexander on Twitter for regular updates and insights:

Forthcoming Events

• Forthcoming Events

No Events to Show

For a full list of forthcoming events, please see the Forthcoming Events page of the site.

Join the Newsletter