In the Words of Alexander McCall Smith

Scotland Street is Back! Return to Number 44 with The Scotsman

Posted in: News

All of your favourite characters from 44 Scotland Street – Bertie, Irene, Cyril, Matthew and Big Lou included – made a welcome return to the Scotsman newspaper this week, with fresh instalments starting on Monday 24 January and a weekly update due to be posted on the Scotsman website (we’ll pass on the link when it’s available!)

Don’t miss out. Read it in the paper every day and catch up with previous volumes now available in paperback (and The Importance of Being Seven in hardback).

If you'd like to share or bookmark this article, here are a few shortcuts:

Join or Start the Conversation:

9 comments on this article to-date:

1. Selene says:

Hi everybody,
    I love these books and I utilize them trying to improve my English (I’m Italian).
    I noticed that in US website there are also three books of Portuguese Irregular Verbs serie but the serie is not mentioned in UK website…so I’m quite curious to know why, if it is possible

Cheers

Sele

PS Mr McCall Smith have you ever thought about organizing a date between Isabel and Irene, Bertie’s mum? :)

2. admin says:

Hi Selene –

The ‘Von Igelfeld’ stories are currently only available in the UK in audiobook format (read by Hugh Laurie!). Please see the audiobooks page of the site for details.

3. Vincent M. Gauthier says:

Hi Selene and “Admin”,
    Should we understand that the Von Igelfeld books will also appear in print one day ?
    Looking forward to that !

4. Cathy Blake says:

Where can I find the complete novel–is it no longer available on The Scotsman?
    Will it be out in book form soon? If so, what is the title?
    Thanks–I missed this when it started–now all I can find are the summaries.

5. Amy says:

Is it possible for those of us in the US to read The Importance of Being 7 on the Scotsman website? I’ve checked the newspaper’s website, but the story appears to start well after the end of The Unbearable Lightness of Scones. I’d love to continue reading the story. Many thanks! These delightful characters help me unwind at the end of busy days!

6. Archie White says:

Do we know when the latest (seventh) Scotland Street novel will be published in book form? Will it be in time for my birthday – 28th July – so that I might get it for free?

The following question has probably been asked before, several times; but bear with me. I wonder if Mr McCall Smith has ever lost a dog and had it returned? This has happened to both Cyril in Scotland Street and to Freddie de la Hay in Corduroy Mansions.

7. anne jackson says:

Does anyone have a spare copy of the map In the footsteps of 44 Scotland Street? I understand it was published in The Scotsman Newspaper a couple of years ago. I would be most grateful if anyone could let me have a copy.

8. Elvia Williams says:

I just discovered the 44 Scotland St. series quite by accident when I was looking for books to read on my library website in San Diego, CA. My daughter had recommended the # 1 Ladies detective agncy prior to that but I started “The World According To Bertie, read the one following that and am now trying to read the earlier versions. Mr. McCall Smith has such a sly sense of humor that I find myself LOL all the time. I called my sister and recommended him to her. Please continue writing. I’m going to see if my library carries The Importance of Being Seven.

9. Archie White says:

Selene (1) and Vincent (3)

Have you looked in a second-hand bookshop, or tried an on-line website such as Amazon, for a second-hand copy of the Von Igelfeld books? I have a second-hand paperback, published in 2004, entitled “The 2 1/2 [two and a half] Pillars of Wisdom”. It includes “Portuguese Irregular Verbs”, “The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs” and “At The Villa of Reduced Circumstances”

Join or Start the Conversation:

Complete the form to add a comment to this article:

Please Note: All comments will be moderated by a member of Mr McCall Smith's Webteam, which may result in a short delay in your comment appearing on the site.

Mr McCall Smith's Webteam and/or representatives of his publisher, the Little Brown Book Group, also reserve the right to block, remove or delete any comment that, in their opinion:

• Constitutes hate speech against an identifiable group
  • Directly and deliberately insults other posters
  • Is promotional or commercial in nature (these comments will also be reported as spam)
  • Does not make a relevant and / or interesting contribution to the discussion

Alexander on Twitter

Alexander on Twitter
Latest tweets from @mccallsmith:
  • Sorry! Bit of a problem with the feed from Twitter at the moment. Please try again later...
Follow Alexander on Twitter for regular updates and insights:

Forthcoming Events

• Forthcoming Events

• Mon, 27 October 2014 -
      An evening with Alexander McCall Smith at Daunts Bookshop
    • Tue, 28 October 2014 -
      Coffee and Cake with Alexander McCall Smith in association with Topping & Co., Ely
    • Tue, 28 October 2014 -
      Alexander McCall Smith at the Cambridge Festival of Ideas

For a full list of forthcoming events, please see the Forthcoming Events page of the site.

Join the Newsletter